Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Water Skiing Workout



Water Skiing is great exercise, though it's a good idea to prepare yourself in the gym before you do it. I only get the opportunity to ski once or twice a year, however; I do prepare myself in and out of the gym.

I only average about once around the lake in actually time skied, this equates to about 4-7 minutes. The entire time behind the boat is an isometric activity, meaning the muscles are constantly contracted or engaged, mostly biceps, back, quads and core. Specifically I train isometric movements to the weeks leading up to times were I know I will be skiing. I also prepare my balance doing many of the movements on one leg and in various angles of the elbow. I do a lot of neck training which is commonly injured when a skier falls. I have seen numerous people break ribs while falling as well, bone density and resistance training are important for these reasons.
The warm-up before you ski is critical. An active total body warm-up and stretching are done for ten minutes before I ski to help prevent cramping, muscle fatigue and strains.
Interested in more sport specific conditioning contact me on my website excelfitnessct.com.